Tuesday, February 07, 2006

My 25 birthday

Thank you!!! I just wanted to give a big thank you to all these people who gave me happy birthday!!!
And it was a happy one… also if ok… a lot of people were missing and I would have liked to have my friends (and Patrick!!!) at my side… but ok…
The 4 February I went all the day around the city, really all around… Beginning form the south and ending in a dinner in Manly… wonderful!!!
I received also my birthday present... totally unespected: Cloudstreet by Tim Winton, an Australian author… I already began to read the book and it is my stile! I am really happy and all this helped me a lot not to think too much at home…
Next day ferry to go to Tasmania. When I get into my room I met Lynda, she is from Tasmania, and she is really nice. She offered to give me a lift until her city as she was travelling with the car… could it be better? Then we met some Australian boys in the ship and a Japanese girl, Yukie.
So, at the beginning of the trip everything was so wonderful… sitting on the top of the boat, with the salt wind coming to your face and the sun in your shoulders… and in front of you: the ocean. I was feeling travelling in another way, the same way people arrived there, in a boat, pushed and cuddled by the waves, looking for a hope, for the promise land, following some crazy idea that folly people called dream.
I was immersed in this ocean of emotions when I looked at the other people on the boat and they were rocking, from the left to the right, from the right to the left, from the left….
This was the moment I realized it could have been not a wonderful idea going there with the ship, and the moment I also realized it was too late to change idea. I tried everything. I could not move because you could not go anywhere without banging against the wall, I could not eat nor go upstairs nor downstairs…
I met the Australians when I was lying in the sofa trying to get better. At the end, everybody was coming upstairs with me also if it was really cold. But we enjoyed the stars and I begin to feel better. Finally I managed to go to bed and there I was also able to sleep (this is also because perhaps I was taking 2 pills against nausea).
Next morning I was feeling so good that I went to take breakfast and the time I arrived was coming so quick I cannot believe it is possible.
There I get to Launceston with Lynda and Yukie. Then Yukie and I went on until Hobart with the bus. This is another story… it is made by Penguins and Tasmania devils and temperature that go under 0 in the night as we are near the Antarctic. But now is quite late, I have to sleep to organize me better tomorrow. So, for the next story you have to wait, not too much…
At the end I will always remember this Birthday, almost vomiting in a boat on the way to Tasmania, celebrating with people I met the day before or the same day, but feeling in a ocean of emotions.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Irene...i am just wondering why almost everyone is writing you in english...ma! non lo so proprio!!! kronia pollà! ti scrivo i miei auguri in greco per recuperare il ritardo...due giorni...conoscendomi non è nemmeno tanto! i am very happy to read how your life is going on there...and the pictures are great you never talk about wombat...have you seen them? i am in a office, i have to stop now...but i look forward to read again about you!!!

6:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Irene! I was just checking your blog for new info and was surprised to find so much! Amazing pictures. I would give anything to be there now too! :) I just wanted to wish you a happy belated birthday (sorry, I didn't know)! Like my friends told me on my 25th, now you are a quarter century old! It sounds bad like that, right? Well, good luck in your travels and take care!
besos,
Catrina (Ivan's girlfriend)

12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home