Saturday, February 18, 2006

Melbourne

For the ones who think I am lost somewhere in Tasmania I am happy to set s.o.'s mind at rest… I am still alive and ok. The problem was that before coming in Melbourne it was very difficult to find an internet and even the few I found had no USB: no pictures, no stories…
I am happy to be again in the civilized word, to have the possibility to buy something to eat also in the night and to see a lot of people. I was not expecting to speak like this… but, I am glad to be back to the city.
We (Yukie and I) arrived in Melbourne this morning and, after some misadventures with happy ending, we are relaxing again in the hostel.
But before, I want to tell you about my travel around Tasmania.
If I well remember we were in Port Arthur last time, with the rain and the cold.
I was writing about being in the middle of nowhere (I did not know what I was speaking about) and we decided to go to the market next morning.
Getting to the market I was feeling like in medieval age, when people from the countryside were going to the city on Saturday, bringing eggs, honey or vegetable. I already told you that I love Markets… isn’t it? And I could not detain me from buying some honey, fruits, a warm pillow (that after saved my life) and a Hammock. I know, I know, I already have one… but you have to see this one. When is closed is very little, more or less like my camera, and is less than 1 kg. When is open, two person can stay on it… so, now I am really ready… I have the tend I was buying in Hobart and the hammock… ready to go everywhere.
After the market we decided to go to Bicheno, in the north east of Tasmania. Before getting there Yukie and I wanted to buy something at the supermarket. Founding one in the street, we stopped and who we met there? The Australian of the ship! It was funny and nice meeting them again in this way. We get some picture and I promise them I am going to publish on my blog, so that they can get it…
Then, ok, hurrying up to arrive to Bicheno before the hostel close, we sow the landscape changing completely. First remarkable thing: it was sunny. The clouds were not more all over the sky but were really little and nice ones… Than the streets were empty. Nobody but us was passing these places forgotten by God (direct translated from Italian). Everything was so yellow and green and peaceful and relaxing that we stopped in the street for a while, forgetting we were in a hurry but only enjoying the fact to be there.
Anyway, at the end, we get to Bicheno, and fortunately the hostel was still open. Ok, I think I can simply say that Bicheno is smaller than Sipicciano or Villa San Giovanni in Tuscia, (for those who do not know about Sipicciano or Villa San Giovanni in Tuscia, let imagine a village were there is only one street and no more).But, surprise surprise!! Bicheno is full of penguins. We managed to see a lot of them also if they come out only at night and flash is prohibited. But we were surrounded of penguins. I was trying to get some pictures without flash but I am sorry to disappoint you… the penguins were moving and my pictures are only something difficult to interpret.
We passed the night in this hostel and next morning we went to wineglass bay. It is the most wonderful beach I have never seen in my life. Just perfect. We have been to the wineglass lookout before and than to the beach, also if too cold to get into the water… some people were trying and screaming…
We have been walking for more than 6 hours to get there and back. This is the reason why this beach is so beautiful… it is also difficult to reach. But the pictures speak alones.
Next day to Launceston. Here we have been relaxing for a while… the hostel was quite far from the city and to get there again we get lost with the car…
Next morning we have been to the caves near Deloraine. They were wonderful. The guide was turning off the light when we were there and the top of the cave was glowing with stars. They are luminescent insects that glow to attract other insects and getting something to eat without moving from their place. Simply amazing.
To arrive to the cave we pass through a rain forest. Not as spectacular as the ones in Costa Rica, not so savage at all, but nice for a walk and refreshing, in a day so hot like that.
Than, from the caves to the Cradle Mountains. There we decided to take a red trek and climb the mountain. It was the best idea we ever had. The panorama was gorgeous. And yes, at the beginning of the trip I was feeling really disappointed about my capacity of climbing mountains. But after this I am feeling more proud. Ok, this time it was not a question of resistance, it was more a question of concentration. We had to climb with hands and feet, we had to be careful and control the best places to hang. It was the first time I found it not difficult for my resistance. Ok, programmed… the “Inca trail” is my next one… ;-)
That night we slept in Strahan, on the west coast. That was really in the middle of nowhere. We did not find any place to eat because at 9 everything was already closed. We had to wait until next morning…
Next morning just a quick view of the south side of the Cradle Mountains, to the Dam and than back to Hobart. There we separated from Bob, who had to leave next morning with the plane.
We spent one night in the worst hostel I have slept here in Australia and the morning after we delivered the car and took the first bus to go to Launceston again.
We arrived at the bus station of Launceston at 1:00. It was really hot but we were searching for a hostel. So, we took all our stuff (much more from the very beginning, just because before we had a car and with the car was easy to collect things) and walked the entire city to arrive to the hostel I was reading about in the Lonely Planet. We decided to go to this hostel just because the one we have been sleeping before was too far and this time we were without car and we wanted to say in the centre. After half an hour walking I finally could see the hostel. I was encouraging Yukie and myself to do the last effort, the hostel was near, and a shower was already calling and waiting for me. The most we approached the hostel the most the hostel was looking dirty. We arrived to the front and I could not believe at my own eyes… the hostel was burnt…
Closed and with flowers outside, probably someone was dying in the fire. The building was completely destroyed. We spent some minutes in front of the burnt building, looking at it, trying to realize this was the reality. The sight was so disconcerting we remained looking to it without taking off our backpack. I did not know if I wanted to cry or scream. All this way for nothing. We set on our backpack and called other hostel. Full. But they told us that the staff from the burnt hostel was moving to other. They gave us the telephone number. We called them and they reassure us that they are going to pick us up from the old hostel and bring us to the new one. After this we began to laugh. The happy ending was transforming the tragedy in an adventure. We spent the 10 minutes waiting for the bus taking pictures and laughing about the story.
The shuttle came to bring us to the new hostel. I was asking for the name of the new hostel: Tasmanian Devils Backpackers… it was the same of the last time, the one that remain outside the city and where we didn’t want to sleep any more. Ok, for us was enough, we went to this hostel and discovered they have a free shuttle to go to the city, so, every problem was really resolved.
Then, we spent the day in the city and the next one we met again the Australians for a beer. Than we took the Spirit of Tasmania and we arrived this morning to Melbourne.
In the Spirit of Tasmania we had seat accommodations. And that were really only seat, so, I was taking everything and trying to sleep in the bar but was almost impossible… some people were screaming getting drunk.
So, arrived to Melbourne the most important thing has been searching for a hostel where I could sleep just a little. This one is nice, in the real City and has free breakfast… what do I want more?
So, today I had not so much time to look at the city but tomorrow is Sunday and there is a good market here… a good way to begin to visit it… isn’t it?
And free pancakes for breakfast… I think I am going to sleep very well this night…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home